Thursday, October 3, 2013

Literature Analysis #2

Topic(s) and/or Event(s)

1.I decided to read a book called Double Luck by Lu Chi Fa, its about Lu Chi Fa's life about being a Chinese orphan. When Lu Chi Fa was about three both his parents died, leaving him one thing his name which means "new beginning". He was passed on to relative to relative not ever having a permanent home. He had to go through a lot of misfortune like being sold into slavery, standing on the streets asking for money, through all of that he never gave up what he dreamed of doing which was coming to America and opening up his own restaurant, which ended up coming true.

2. I believe that he choose to write about himself because he wanted to tell his story and have people dream bigger. He wanted to make us realize through all that he has gone through that not even once did he think about giving up, even though we are given obstacles to overcome we shouldn't just avoid them  that instead we should pull through and learn from them.

3. I chose this book to read because my aunt recommended it , she loved how my uncles life story was similar to Lu Chi Fa's which really grasped my attention because I really wanted to see what this book was actually about. Once I started reading it for some reason I felt an instant connection. I felt so terrible for all the stuff he had to go through but it made me want to keep reading because I truly felt that his life was going to take an opposite turn and he will soon live his dream.

4.Yes I did find the book to be realistic. I couldnt really make any personal connections through his situation because what he had to go through was pretty harsh, I mean I must say I live a much more easier life then he did. But in the book Lu Chi Fa describes an old lady who takes care of him which he calls Grandma. She feeds and takes care of him, provides a roof over his head she basically treats him as if he were her own son, and I can relate to that because my grandma treats me the exact same way, she loves me with all the love she has just like grandma did to Lu Chi Fa.

People

1. Well the author did use a lot of personal observations, but just like every description we are going to have our own imagination towards it and we will see each character physically different. When Lu Chi Fa describes his sister his tone is really respectable because he adores his sister because he sees how much she loves him and cares for him. She was the mother that Lu Chi Fa never had(even though she really couldnt take care of him but she guided him into the right directions).

2. In the book Lu Chi Fa describes his sister, she was his only sister and she treated him like he was her own. His sister was really small and petite, he says she was the most beautiful women he has ever seen, which I believe because a lot of men wanted to marry her. She ended up with a man that was well off but the man didnt want Lu Chi Fa to stay with them because they already had children of their own.

Lu Chi Fa also describes the blind man. The blind man was a man that also took care of Lu Chi Fa for awhile(well actually Chi Fa was the one taking care of the man). The blind man is a really pale tall thin man, with hair as long as a horses tail.  Lu Chi Fa actually learned how to read because everyday the blind man asked Chi Fa to read a book, also he taught himself how to cook too since the blind man wasnt able to do it.

3.Chi Fa wrote about people who made an influence in his life. Lu Chi Fa's sister taught him to be brave and humble which lead him into the person he is today. The blind man taught Lu Chi Fa how to read and made Lu Chi Fa see his misfortune as a blessing in disguise.

1. An example of direct characterization is Lu Chi Fa's sister, Lu Chi Fa makes direct statements about his sister when he describes how she treats him like he is her own son, how she is humble by showing him to be kind and hope for good fortune. An example of indirect characterization is when Chi Fa describes the blind man, the blind man hardly says any words at all, so the house was full of silence majority of the time. But as Lu Chi Fa stayed longer in the house eventually he became more open, and actually a sweet and kind man.

2. I'm not quite sure if there is a protagonist in the book but Chi Fa does describe the Communist Parents who beat and hardly feed him, I'm pretty sure they are flat characters because he ran away from them so I really dont think they changed.

3.After reading the book I do feel I've met the author. When he said " Like the stars in the sky, some of those in my past shed a lesser light. They were there to teach me patience and courage; they made me strong. Looking back on my life, I am glad for every person I have known." And from that point I felt that I personally knew him because everything that he shared was so touching that I grew this respect for him

Style

1.In the story Chi Fa describes a cricket that he always carried with him. If the cricket would make tunes it would always bring Chi Fa good fortune, I guess you can say it was his good luck charm.

2. The author uses lengthly descriptions of places and people but I loved how he did that because it actually felt that I was at that exact place he was describing; I just felt more engaged in the book.

3. The author uses pathos, an appeal to emotion. He describes all the hardships hes been through, not ever having a permanent home because nobody really wanted to take care of him, they saw him as a burden in their lives.

4.I really think through everything he has been through his tone was thankful because without all of it he wouldnt be where he is at right now.

5.Chi Fa talks briefly about the Chinese Civil War and World War II, which really does matter to my thinking because it really put an effect on the story makes it more relatable in a way.

From this book i will always remember that I really shouldnt be complaining that i have a really difficult life when actually its not difficult at all! I just make it seem that way, their is always somebody out there in the world that has it 20 times harder than I do and they arent compaining about their lives they pull through and live their lives.



No comments:

Post a Comment